Peter Bishop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peter is more than 'comedic relief'

3 posters

Go down

Peter is more than 'comedic relief' Empty Peter is more than 'comedic relief'

Post  collectivesoul Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:11 pm

So, I am new to the board. Thanks for the link, Monne.

As a lover of all that is Peter, I frequently come across those that are just too dense to appreciate his character. I present my latest bane:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119644/board/thread/177156459?d=177156459&p=1#177156459

***Quote***

I've just started watching this show.. at the third episode now..

this is not a debate if a male character is needed.. of course it is.. but his?

Joshua's character annoys me...a lot.. there are many good ways to do comic relief characters 'Which no matter if you like it or not.. he is.. at least in the first 3 episodes'..

In my opinion they have chosen the worst and most cliche way

Is his character suppose to be Chandler from 'Friends' ?.. cause thats what it feels like to me..
all these horrible murders and cases.. and then this guy just kinda stand there in the background.. sarcasticly interupting police officers..

cop 1: He was butchered then his guts was torn out
cop 2: yes, then he was dragged over here
Joshua Jackson: thats what she said!!!! BOYAAAAAAAAA

an example of what I mean. Joshua Jackson walks into the lab.. and yells.. "Yo.. POP!!!"... to his father..
Now this was a man whom he have hated his entire life.. a man who he was even scared of seeing.. now 24 hours after him being released.. he jokes about calling him "pop".. like..

things like that really downgrades the entire sci-fi horror drama experience down to some teenage show
"okay this was the intro, now we are all setup here in the lab for 400 episodes, you be Giles, and I be Xander.. and the girl is buffy

Of course comic relief characters isn't a bad thing in itself.. he could still be the more 'light' character, and Joshua Jackson could still be the actor.. but then give him some weird ticks..like his father.. or give him some personal issues that might come off as weird or funny...instead of making him this 'punk'

even better.. his father is already half crazy.. why not keep him as the comic relief. you can make him a bit more of a weirdo.. and then you make Joshua Jackson into a more serious character.. it would suit the show really, make it more adult.. I don't get whats with all these 'funny' men in the new police series..

its like if they inserted Will Smith as the third partner in X-files.. just to sometimes scream "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh *beep* thats a big ass zombie"

*** end quote***

Woo Boy! Why do people immediately discount Peter? My basic explanation for dummies is:

"You have to remember that during first few episodes, he was drug-in to babysit his father, unwillingly.

Peter becomes the heart of this show. Give him time."

and

"At this point, he can't believe what he is seeing. Plus, he has to come to terms with the fact that, yes, his dad just may well be something like Dr. Frankenstein.

If my crazy, but brilliant old man was released under my care after 17 years, and all this weird stuff happened and was linked to him, I'd probably be a bit snarky too as a coping mechanism."

The guy mentions he's ready to give up after five episodes. Is it even worth fighting for Peter in this case?

collectivesoul
collectivesoul

http://fringeofohio.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Peter is more than 'comedic relief' Empty Re: Peter is more than 'comedic relief'

Post  Larissa Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 am

Hey there! Welcome to PeterLand! :')

Don't fight with him, if all he can find to do with his spare time is insult Peter, Fringe probably isn't the right show for him anyway.

And...really? Half of the stuff he said there isn't even Peter xD "Punk"? "Chandler"? "Yo Pop" and "That's What she said!"? This went passed the stage of insulting and moved to hilarious.
Larissa
Larissa
Admin

http://twitter.com/#!/ObsessedPenis

Back to top Go down

Peter is more than 'comedic relief' Empty Re: Peter is more than 'comedic relief'

Post  collectivesoul Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:33 pm

yeah, the guy is clearly insane and creating worlds in his head or something, haha.

collectivesoul
collectivesoul

Back to top Go down

Post  Larissa Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:43 am

He lives in an alternate world where Fringe is a childish, punk-y show :')
Larissa
Larissa
Admin

http://twitter.com/#!/ObsessedPenis

Back to top Go down

Post  monnie44 Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:09 pm

an example of what I mean. Joshua Jackson walks into the lab.. and yells.. "Yo.. POP!!!"... to his father..
Now this was a man whom he have hated his entire life.. a man who he was even scared of seeing.. now 24 hours after him being released.. he jokes about calling him "pop".. like..

things like that really downgrades the entire sci-fi horror drama experience down to some teenage show

LOL.

Of course comic relief characters isn't a bad thing in itself.. he could still be the more 'light' character, and Joshua Jackson could still be the actor.. but then give him some weird ticks..like his father.. or give him some personal issues that might come off as weird or funny...instead of making him this 'punk'

LOLOL. You've watched like two episodes! LOL.

I can't stop laughing you guys. XD I'm sorry, I'm sorry - I know this was a rant post but that whole "article" they wrote about Peter's terrible, terrible character of whom they have deeply analysed all three introductory episodes of, thank you very much, is so silly it's hilarious.

Nah, this one I wouldn't even bother reply to. I ... somehow think they're beyond help. Rolling Eyes
monnie44
monnie44
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  collectivesoul Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:42 pm

That's OK, I was laughing hard as I posted. But unfortunately, this guy's skewed opinion is found in others.

He has posted some other gems... I fear the poor fella just can't match my intellectual capacity, and I have a hard time translating to "dummies."

collectivesoul
collectivesoul

Back to top Go down

Post  monnie44 Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:15 am

I'm not surprised he's wanting to give up the show after 5 episodes.

He'll never make it through the overarching plot with an IQ like that. :\
monnie44
monnie44
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down